One of the finest bbq memories I have growing up around a smoker, is the taste of BBQ Bologna. Don't turn your nose up at the thought; I promise it's mighty fine eatin'.
If you find yourself at one of my shin-digs chances are you're gonna get to sample some of the finest bbq bologna you've ever tried. I've been cooking it this way for as long as I can remember, and it's one of the easiest things to smoke that I know of.
Of course you'll need a smoker and some wood/charcoal for heat, but here's a few other things you'll need as well.
Fire up the smoker and bring it to 225 with a thin smoke rolling out.
Place the Stick of Bologna on a cutting board and remove the “red skin” wrapper. Using a chef's knife, bologna in half.
Now take your BBQ dry rub and sprinkle a good coating on all sides and it's ready for the smoker.
Place it on the rack and close the door. You're done for 3 hours just be sure to keep the fire going and the temperature at 225.
After 3 hours of cook time and a few cold beers, it's time to glaze. By now I've usually have a crowd of folks hanging around the smoker looking like starved vultures.
All you need is a bun, yellow mustard, and a little coleslaw and you have one fine eatin' sandwich.
For those folks that like a crispy bbq bologna sandwich, have a hot grill going when it comes off the smoker. Throw a few slices on the hot grill and let each side sear for just a couple minutes on each side.
Another way of serving BBQ Bologna is to quarter up Red & Green Peppers and Sweet Vidalia Onions. Start them in the bbq sauce bath alongside the bologna at the beginning.
After the Bologna has smoked for 3 hours, slice it and throw the pieces into the bbq sauce bath. Cover with Aluminum foil and let it all cook for another 30 - 45 minutes. Set the entire pan in a wire chaffing rack and jump back cause people are going to flock to it!
|The Perfect Slab Of Ribs
- Ribs Competition-Style Recipe
- St. Louis vs. Baby Backs
- Finding a good butcher
- Secrets and tips - RIBS
|Slow-Smoked Pork Perfection
- Slow-Smoked Pork Butt Method
- Choosing your Shoulder or Butt
- Secrets and tips - Pulled Pork
- Shoulders for BBQ Contest Video
|How To Cook A Whole Hog
- How To Cook A Whole Hog
- 9 Steps To Cook A Whole Hog
- How We Trim Our Hog
- 7 Tips For Cooking a Whole Hog
- Injection Recipe and Video
|Award-Winning Brisket Method
- Competition-Style Beef Brisket
- How To Trim A Brisket Video
- Brisket Injection Recipe
- Beef Brisket Recipe and Method
- Brisket Cooking Tips
- Brisket Burnt Ends Recipe
|The BEST BBQ Chicken Recipe
- My Best BBQ Chicken Recipe
- Video BBQ Chicken Recipe
- Competition BBQ Sauce Recipe
- The Memphis In May Experience
- Get Started In Competition BBQ
- Competition BBQ Networks
- Building A Blind Box for KCBS
- Competition BBQ Events
- BBQ Cooking Time Line
|Grills and Equipment
- How to Build a UDS Smoker
- Smoker Facts and Tips
- Choosing the perfect Grill
- Equipment and Accessories
|More BBQ Recipes...
- Complete List of Grilling & Smoking Recipes
- BBQ Video Recipes
- How to achieve perfect BBQ texture
- The BBQ Blog Recipes and Tips