This is the best method for an uncured pork belly recipe slow smoked – just like a whole hog bacon without smoking the whole hog. This pork belly recipe will melt in your mouth.

mmmm…. Bacon!

For a while now, I’ve ben wanting to do a pork belly on my backyard smoker. The only time I get true bacon is off a whole hog, and I wanted to duplicate that “whole hog” style bacon on a smaller scale – something anyone can do.

So I went and bought myself a case of pork bellies earlier this week. I had 5 bellies total. (I’ve got some homemade, cured bacon in the works – and I’m going to share that too… so be on the look-out).

But today it’s all about un-cured, slow-smoked, melt-in-your-mouth goodness that is pork belly.

The pork belly I had averaged about 12lbs – which was a little too large for my UDS. So I trimmed it down to about a 6lb slab. This was much more manageable, provided plenty of meat, and left me with some smaller roasts to play with later. (I’m thinking braised pork belly)

I left the skin on to hold in moisture and flavor – and to protect the meat while it was cooking in the smoker. Then I gave the skin a good coating of vegetable spray to prevent it from burning and give it that golden color.

Next, I slathered on a light coat of plain yellow mustard and dusted on a good coating of The BBQ Rub.

The pork belly has about 50% fat internally – and that’s massive flavor. But I also wanted to inject it to add even more flavor. The thicker parts of the belly did really well taking the injection, but I did have a little trouble in the thinner areas.

The goal was to use about a 12oz of injection in the whole thing. Here is the recipe:

16oz Apple Juice
2oz Worcestershire Sauce
2oz Soy Sauce
1 Tablespoon finely ground The BBQ Rub
1 teaspoon Accent
Once it was seasoned and injected, it was time for the smoker which was already sitting at 235 degrees. I threw on a couple pieces of peach and cherry wood for smoke flavor.

The pork belly went on – skin side down – for 4 hours. At that point it had that perfect, mahogany color I was going for. So it was time to wrap.

For my wrap I just simply re-seasoned with a little more The BBQ Rub. and added about ¼ cup of apple juice just for a little added moisture.

The wrapped belly went back on the cooker for another 3.5 hours. At that point I gave it a test probe. My skewer slid in just like a hot knife through butter and I knew it was done. In the thickest part of the belly the internal temp was about 198 degrees.

At this point, I took it off the cooker and unwrapped the belly to release the steam and stop the cooking process. I let it set for about 10 minutes and then closed the foil and put it in a dry cooler to rest for about an hour.

After my hour rest, I carefully unwrapped it and placed it on a wire cooling rack for glazing. This just makes moving it around much easier.

For my glaze I used The BBQ Sauce. Not only is flavor awesome but it gives meat that color and sheen that just makes it pop. The glazed belly went back on the cooker for 45 minutes – just long enough to let the glaze set without burning. I always keep a careful eye on things at this point.

Once the glaze was set, it was time to get down to business. What I done truly amazed me. I set out trying to re-create that ‘whole hog bacon’ without having to cook a whole hog… and the outcome was dead-on.

This was true, whole-hog style bacon that any judge would drool over. My only regret is that I didn’t do 2 of them because when everyone found out that I was cooking bacon, it started disappearing.

Malcom Reed
Killer Hogs BBQ Cooking Team
Sign-up for my weekly BBQ newsletter at HowtoBBQright.com
Join my Facebook BBQ Community

About the Author

I am Malcom Reed and my brother, Waylon, and I are the Killer Hogs competition bbq team. Here at HowtoBBQright.com, I want to give you my secrets, methods and techniques you need to produce competition-quality BBQ. I want to give enough detail for BBQ novices, but still offer information that is useful for the professional BBQ cooks. I only focus on REAL bbq. And I take it seriously.

18 Comments on this article. Feel free to join this conversation.

1. John Forgione February 14, 2013 at 6:21 pm -

I enjoy your videos and cooking very much. I am in the process of building a UDS as soon as it warns up here. Thanks again, John.

2. Administrator February 15, 2013 at 10:14 am -

I love my UDS. Cook on it all the time. Best cheap smoker you can build yourself. And if you can find someone to weld the fire box for you, it’s a quick process to build.

3. Chuck Christianson July 27, 2013 at 2:45 pm -

I am in my second year of doing competition BBQ. with no KCBS wins as of yet, (I seem to be able to almost always pull off some kind of wins at local non sanctioned events, but cant score when I get off the porch and play with the big dogs) I work with Moe Cason, and he is responsible for sicking the BBQ bug on me… I do my all of my BBQ on 3 UDS smokers that I built with your plans,, with a few modifications. I have watched your video on the pork belies several times, and I just got back from our local mexican grocery store, and purchased a 5lb belly, and tomorrow I am trying this…Your information on this sight has been invaluable to me. THANK YOU for your hard work and dedication to this sight!!!!

4. Administrator August 3, 2013 at 7:48 pm -

Thanks a lot. As you know, it’s a labor of love.

5. Administrator August 3, 2013 at 7:48 pm -

And tell Big Moe hello for me!

6. Linden December 3, 2013 at 8:08 pm -

Hey looks amazing. Cooking pork belly on a Weber this weekend. Do you have the recipe somewhere? Thanks.

7. Administrator December 13, 2013 at 7:32 am -

Here is the recipe for smoking a whole pork belly. You can use a 2-zone fire on your weber to smoke it: http://howtobbqright.com/blog/?p=1360

8. Don August 24, 2014 at 1:00 pm -

Just finished my first pork belly on my UDS. I followed your video and this was amazing. Thank you.

9. Administrator September 4, 2014 at 12:41 pm -

Awesome!

10. Chad January 25, 2015 at 6:21 pm -

Hi Malcom, I’m planning on cooking this recipe in a few days on my Yoder YS640. Is there anything significant that you would do differently as opposed to the UDS? Thanks, love your site, youtube channel and The BBQ Rub you guys make.

11. Administrator January 26, 2015 at 8:06 am -

No, just keep those temps steady and you’ll be fine.

12. Chad January 28, 2015 at 12:41 pm -

Cooked this today for a group of people. From prep to serve was about 10 1/2 hours. From serve to all gone was about 10 1/2 minutes!

13. Administrator January 29, 2015 at 3:48 pm -

Sounds like you had a good cook!

14. Wes Johnson February 8, 2015 at 2:37 pm -

Dude! First off, I love your recipes! They make me look like I know what I’m doing. I smoke on a Vision Kamado. I’ve done this pork belly recipe a number of times. Let me tell you about my little “twist” to this recipe. In Kinston, NC there is a restaurant called The Chef & the Farmer. They make an eastern NC style, vinegar based sauce…with blueberries. I’ve been using THE BBQ Rub (one of the few rubs I EVER use), and then use the blueberry sauce for my glaze. It is crazy good! Again, thanks for the recipes, and for making this amateur look like a BOSS!

15. Scott February 25, 2016 at 11:04 pm -

Hi Malcolm. I’ve learned so much from you. I’ll be making this pork belly recipe on a RECTEC 680 pellet smoker. What temperature would you recommend I set the grill for both cooking sessions. Keep up the good work.

16. Roxe Anne Peacock August 4, 2016 at 4:42 pm -

I purchased a bone-in 9 pound pork belly. I am planning to barbecue it on my Smoke Hollow smoked at 225 degrees. Do I have to cure it? Do I need to remove the bones? About how long will I need to smoke it? I have made several salt pork pieces this way but not fresh pork belly from the butcher.
    Thanks!

17. Ricky Boyer November 14, 2016 at 12:57 pm -

Im about to try my first pork belly and have read several articles, im getting a lot of internal temp ideas though from 165-200 which is better lower or higher and what do the different temperatures do (well done or something like that)
    Thanks

18. james March 4, 2017 at 8:30 pm -

Malcom love your recipes and rub, always watching your you tube videos,

Leave A Response