I like to cook a whole packer brisket. I always trim the majority of the fat off the point and flat. Some people don't do this but I've had decent results, so I'm sticking with it.
I also inject my briskets with beef stock and finely ground rub. I'm planning on trying some of the Butcher's injections in the near future but I haven't experimented with any of them yet. (Also the Fab line of injections has been winning in my area of the country).
I take them to 200-205 and then rest them, wrapped up really well in aluminum foil and a towel, in a dry cooler. I smoke the brisket at 250 degrees for 4 hours then take an internal temp.
It should be at 165 internal at this point. I then wrap it in foil with a little more of the injection (beef stock rub mixture) poured in the bottom for moisture.
After wrapping place it back on the 250 degree smoker and cook until your probe reads 200-205 internal. Depending on the size of the brisket it may be 2 hours or as much as 6 hrs. I like to use 17-18 lb briskets cooking time is normally 8-10 hours.
After resting the brisket in the dry cooler, carefully unwrap the foil and catch any "juices" that are in the bottom. I place the brisket on a cutting board and separate the flat from the point.
You can mix equal parts bbq sauce and pan drippings to make a sauce for the slices and burnt ends. I lightly brush the slices with the sauce and place the burnt ends in an aluminum food service pan, cover with sauce, and smoke for an hour.
|The Perfect Slab Of Ribs
- Ribs Competition-Style Recipe
- St. Louis vs. Baby Backs
- Finding a good butcher
- Secrets and tips - RIBS
|Slow-Smoked Pork Perfection
- Slow-Smoked Pork Butt Method
- Choosing your Shoulder or Butt
- Secrets and tips - Pulled Pork
- Shoulders for BBQ Contest Video
|How To Cook A Whole Hog
- How To Cook A Whole Hog
- 9 Steps To Cook A Whole Hog
- How We Trim Our Hog
- 7 Tips For Cooking a Whole Hog
- Injection Recipe and Video
|Award-Winning Brisket Method
- Competition-Style Beef Brisket
- How To Trim A Brisket Video
- Brisket Injection Recipe
- Beef Brisket Recipe and Method
- Brisket Cooking Tips
- Brisket Burnt Ends Recipe
|The BEST BBQ Chicken Recipe
- My Best BBQ Chicken Recipe
- Video BBQ Chicken Recipe
- Competition BBQ Sauce Recipe
- The Memphis In May Experience
- Get Started In Competition BBQ
- Competition BBQ Networks
- Building A Blind Box for KCBS
- Competition BBQ Events
- BBQ Cooking Time Line
|Grills and Equipment
- How to Build a UDS Smoker
- Smoker Facts and Tips
- Choosing the perfect Grill
- Equipment and Accessories
|More BBQ Recipes...
- Complete List of Grilling & Smoking Recipes
- BBQ Video Recipes
- How to achieve perfect BBQ texture
- The BBQ Blog Recipes and Tips