A simple recipe with tons of flavor and it only takes a few ingredients that are already in your pantry; I call this one Firecracker Chicken! And I use a whole chicken, but you could use any cut you like!
- 1 whole chicken cut up into 8pcs
- 2 cups hot sauce (Killer Hogs or Frank’s Red Hot)
- 2 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Cracked Black Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cayenne Pepper
For the Fire Cracker Chicken Glaze:
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Hot Sauce (Killer Hogs or Frank’s Red Hot)
- 1 Tablespoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
- Place chicken pieces in extra large ziplock bag and pour 2 cups of hot sauce over the chicken. Move the pieces around so everything is covered and place in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours up to overnight.
- Prepare grill for indirect cooking at 275 degrees. Add a chunk of pecan wood for smoke flavor.
- Remove chicken from marinade and shake excess moisture off into the bag. Combine the Kosher salt, cracked black pepper, and cayenne pepper in a dredge shaker and season the outside of the chicken pieces.
- Place the chicken pieces on the grill skin side up for 1 hour, flip each piece over skin side down for 30 minutes to render the fat under the skin, then flip the pieces back over for 30 additional minutes or until and internal thermometer reads at least 165 degrees in the white meat and 175 in the dark meat.
- To make the glaze: combine the brown sugar, hot sauce, apple cider vinegar, salt, and crushed red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Stir until the sugar is dissolved and brush over the chicken on the grill.
- Glaze the chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side then remove from the grill and serve.
Keywords: firecracker chicken, grilled chicken, spicy chicken