- 3 ½ lb Whole Chicken
- ¼ cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Killer Hogs AP Rub
- 1 Tablespoon Herbs de Provence
- ¼ Stick Real Butter (unsalted)
- 1 Lemon wedge
- Remove giblets from cavity of chicken. Pat dry with paper towel to remove any excess moisture from skin and cavity.
- Flip chicken breast side down on cutting board and use kitchen shears to cut along each side of backbone. Remove backbone and cut through breast about ¼”. Flip chicken and flatten on cutting board.
- Brush skin with vegetable oil and season with AP Rub (Salt, Black Pepper, Garlic).
- Season with Herb de Provence lightly over entire skin.
- Flip chicken and repeat seasoning process.
- Heat grill to 300⁰ use pecan wood chunks for smoke.
- Place chicken skin side down on grate and place bricks wrapped in aluminum foil on each half. Insert probe thermometer into thickest part of thigh and set temp for 175⁰.
- After 45 minutes remove bricks and flip chicken skin side up. Brush skin with melted butter and squeeze lemon wedge over chicken.
- Close lid and continue cooking until thermometer reads 175 in thigh and 165 in breast.
- Remove chicken from grill, rest 5 minutes, and cut chicken into pieces form serving.