- 1 Tri Tip Roast (2.5-3lbs avg.)
- 1 cup Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoons Killer Hogs Steak Rub
- 1 cup Italian Flat Leaf Parsley finely chopped
- 1 cup Cilantro finely chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon Zest (1/2 lemon)
- 2 Tablespoon Lemon Juice (whole lemon)
- ¼ cup Red Wine Vinegar
- Drizzle Olive Oil over both sides of Tri Tip roast. Reserve remaining olive oil.
- Season both sides with Killer Hogs Steak Rub. (any coarse ground rub can be substituted here). Rest for 1 hour on counter before grilling.
- Prepare Big Green Egg or charcoal grill for indirect cooking; hold temperature at 250⁰. Place a chunk of pecan wood on hot coals for smoke flavor. (if using other grill set it up for 2 zone cooking)
- Place Tri Tip on grill and insert probe thermometer set for 115⁰. Cook Tri Tip for 25-30 minutes or until internal temp reaches 115⁰.
- Remove Tri Tip from grill, take the heat deflector out of the Big Green Egg, and adjust vents so the grill climbs to 500⁰. On the Big Green Egg this takes about 3-4 minutes.
- Sear the Tri Tip on both sides for 4 minutes each side or until internal temperature reaches 130-135⁰.
- Remove from grill and rest for 10 minutes. Slice against the grain and serve with chimichurri sauce.
For the Chimichurri Sauce
- Finely chop 1 bunch of fresh flat leaf parsley and 1 bunch of cilantro being sure to remove stems about 1 cup each. Pour into medium size mixing bowl.
- Mince Garlic and add to bowl.
- Add lemon zest, fresh lemon juice, and red wine vinegar.
- Stir to combine and slowly drizzle in olive oil. Season with Kosher Salt and Cracked Black Pepper to taste.