- Soften the cream cheese by sitting it on counter for 1 hour. Seed and dice the jalapenos.
- Place the cream cheese, Monterrey Jack, and jalapenos in a large bowl. Season with a little The BBQ Rub and stir to combine.
- Place the cream cheese mixture on a sheet of plastic wrap and roll into a log shape. Refrigerate for 30 minutes. This can be done the day before to save time.
- Flatten the sausage on a sheet of parchment paper into a rectangle shape. It should be about ½” thick. Season lightly with The BBQ Rub. Unroll the cream cheese mixture and place in the center of the sausage. Use the parchment paper to gently lift the sausage up and over the cream cheese. Press the seams together so all the cheese is covered.
- Lay out the bacon strips on a sheet of parchment paper and fold every other piece weaving strips across into a “basket weave” pattern.
- Place the sausage on the bacon and gently roll the sausage into a log shape. The Bacon should completely cover the sausage. Season with the remaining The BBQ Rub.
- Start a charcoal fire in smoker and bring temperature to 300⁰ use cherry wood for smoke flavor.
- Place the Football Explosion on the grate and cook until internal temperature hits 155⁰.
- Heat the bbq sauce until warm and brush on the outside of the Football Explosion.
- Continue to smoke until internal temperature hits 165⁰
- Rest for 15-20 minutes before serving.