- 8 slices Thick Cut Apple Smoked Bacon
- 4 Medium Onions
- ¼ cup Balsamic Vinegar
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- water as needed
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Peel and thinly slice the onions
- Cut the bacon into small cubes
- Heat a deep sauté pan over medium high heat and render the bacon until brown and slightly crispy. Remove from heat, drain, and reserve 1 TBS of drippings in the pan
- Add the thinly sliced onion, brown sugar, balsamic vinegar, bacon pieces, and 1 Tablespoon of water.
- Cover and cook the onion for 15 minutes until they start to soften.
- Remove the lid and stir the onion mixture occasionally until they caramelize. Add water a couple of teaspoons at a time as the moisture cooks off.
- Keep a close eye on the onions stirring as needed. It will take about 1 hour to cook the mixture down into a jam like consistency.
- Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.