- Prepare ceramic smoker or other bbq grill for indirect cooking at 275⁰.
- Place whole chicken on cutting surface breast side down. Remove backbone by making cut down each side. Make another cut through middle of breast bone continuing through skin separating the chicken into 2 halves.
- Season both sides of each chicken half with AP rub followed by a light coat of BBQ rub.
- Add a couple chunks of pecan wood to the hot coals.
- Place chicken on cooking grate skin side up.
- Smoke chicken for 1 hour then insert meat probe into thickest part of breast. Set the thermometer alarm for 160⁰.
- Combine the Glaze ingredients in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Stir to combine about 5 minutes.
- When internal temperature reaches 160⁰ in breast, brush warm glaze over the each chicken half.
- Continue to cook until internal temperature reaches 165⁰ in breast and 175⁰ in thigh. Juice should run clear.
- Remove from smoker and rest for 15 minutes before serving.