- 4lb Eye of Round Beef Roast
- 2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- 16oz Water
- 8oz Johnny’s French Dip Au Jus base
- 1 Sweet Onion thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
Creamy Horseradish Sauce
- 12oz Mayonnaise
- 4oz Kraft creamy Horseradish
- 1 teaspoon prepared horseradish from jar
- 1 teaspoon Frank’s Hot Sauce
- Pinch of Salt and Pepper to taste
- Prepare BBQ Smoker or grill for indirect cooking at 250-275⁰. Add pecan wood chunks to hot coals for smoke.
- Rub olive oil over the surface of the roast and season with Kosher Salt and Black Pepper on all sides.
- Place the roast on one side of the cooking grate. Toss the sliced onion in half size aluminum with olive oil, salt, and pepper. Place the pan on the cooking grate with the roast.
- Sweat the onion for 20 minutes stirring half way and add the Au Jus base and water. Cover the pan and simmer.
- Turn the roast after 30 minutes of smoking to brown both sides. Insert a meat probe thermometer set for an internal temperature of 130⁰ (medium rare).
- Continue to cook the roast until it hits target temp and remove from smoker about 1 hour 15 minutes total cook time.
- Rest the roast for 30 minutes before thinly slicing. Place the slices in the jus for serving.
- Serve the roast beef on fresh French Rolls topped with a creamy horseradish sauce, thinly sliced Provolone cheese, and a bowl of the Au Jus for dipping.