- 4–5lbs Beef Oxtails (6–8 pieces)
- ¼ cup Killer Hogs Hot Rub
- 1 cup Long Grain Rice
- 3 cups Beef Broth
- 1 cup Red Wine
- ¼ cup Worcestershire Sauce
- ¼ cup Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Better Than Bouillon Beef Base
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup Diced Onion
- 1/2 cup Diced Carrot
- 1/2 cup Diced Celery
- 4–5 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onion, celery, & carrots and sauté for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and continue to cook for 1-2 minutes. Stir in Worcestershire, Balsamic Vinegar, Tomato Paste, and Red Wine. Reduce for 3 minutes and add Beef Broth and Beef Base, stir and continue to reduce for 10 minutes.
- Prepare Smoker for indirect cooking at 275 degrees. Add a small chunk of pecan wood to hot coals for smoke flavor.
- Trim excess fat from outer edges of oxtails and season all sides with Killer Hogs Hot Rub (or your favorite bbq seasoning)
- Place oxtails on cooking rack and smoke for 2 hours or until outside develops a dark mahogany color.
- Prepare braising sauce per recipe below.
- Remove oxtails from smoker and arrange in a large cast iron pot. Pour braising liquid around meat and cover with aluminum foil.
- Place the iron pot on the smoker and continue to cook at 275 for 2 ½ hours or until oxtails are fork tender.
- Cook rice according to package directions.
- Remove iron pot from smoker and carefully transfer each oxtail to a large platter. Strain the braising liquid and skim fat from top.
- Spoon rice onto serving platter, arrange oxtails over rice, and ladle sauce over each piece.
- Garnish with green onion (or parsley) and serve.