- 1 Whole Roasting Chicken about 4lbs
- ¼ cup Killer Hogs AP Rub
- 2 Bunches Fresh Rosemary
- 2 Bunches Fresh Thyme
- 2 Bunches Fresh Sage
- 2 Bunches Fresh Chives
- Olive Oil Cooking Spray
- 1 cup White BBQ Sauce* recipe below
White BBQ Sauce Recipe
- 2 cups Mayo
- ¼ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- ½ Tablespoon Black Pepper
- ½ Tablespoon Granulated Garlic
- ½ Tablespoon Table Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- Juice from 1 lemon
- Prepare Red Box smoker or other bbq grill for indirect cooking over dry heat. Smoker temp should be 400⁰. For best results place coals at least 17” below cooking grate.
- Rinse and clean chicken. Remove the backbone by cutting down each side with a pair of kitchen shears. Place the bird breast side up and press down until the wishbone separates allowing the chicken to lay flat on the cutting board.
- Pat the skin completely dry with paper towel.
- Spray the skin with olive oil cooking spray and season both sides with Killer Hogs AP Rub. (salt, black pepper, and garlic can be substituted here).
- Build a nest out of the fresh herbs on the cooking grate. Reserve a few herbs for placing directly on the hot coals.
- Set the chicken breast up on the herb nest and place in the smoker. Add a few herbs to the fire and cook until an internal thermometer reads 165 in the breast or 175 in the thigh.
- Remove the chicken from the smoker and rest for 10 minutes before cutting into individual pieces.
- Drizzle the herb smoked chicken with White BBQ Sauce and garnish with fresh chopped chives. Serve with additional white bbq sauce for dipping.