- 3–4lb Top Sirloin Roast (you can also use Top Round or Bottom Round)
- 2 Tablespoons Kosher Salt
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Black Pepper
- 1 teaspoon Granulated Garlic
- 1 teaspoon Granulated Onion
- 1 teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 teaspoon Dried Sweet Basil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed Red Pepper
- 4 Beef Bouillon cubes
- 6 cups Water
- 3 Green Bell Peppers
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Killer Hogs AP Seasoning
- 8 French Rolls
- 1 jar Giardiniera (can be store bought or homemade)
- Prepare Big Green Egg or other grill/smoker for indirect cooking at 325 degrees. Add a few chunks of Hickory wood to the hot coals for smoke flavor.
- Trim fat from outer surface of top sirloin roast. Combine salt, pepper, garlic, onion, herbs, and crushed pepper in a small bowl.
- Spritz the surface of the roast with water and apply a good coat of the seasoning to the surface. Reserve the remaining seasoning.
- Place a 9×13” baking pan on the Big Green Egg and pour in 6 cups of water. Add the beef bouillon cubes and dissolve. Add a teaspoon of the left over seasoning to the mixture for flavor.
- Place a wire baking rack over the pan and sit the top sirloin roast on the rack. Insert a wired probe thermometer and smoke until the internal temperature reaches 125-130 degrees about 2 hours cook time.
- Remove the roast from the pit, pour the beef juice into a large container and place the roast in the baking pan. Loosely cover the roast with aluminum foil and refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours or overnight to completely cool. Place the container with the beef juice in the refrigerator as well.
- Remove any fat from the top of the liquid and pour the liquid into a crockpot and bring to a simmer.
- Slice the bell peppers into 1/4” strips. Place an iron skillet on the grill or indoors on the range. Add the olive oil, pepper slices, and AP seasoning and sauté until tender.
- Slice the Roast as thin as possible with a knife or use a meat slicer.
To Assemble the famous Chicago Italian Beef Sandwich:
- Split French Roll in half lengthwise (don’t cut all the way through the bread)
- Place several slices of the beef in the simmering beef juice for 1 minute
- Ladle a little of the beef juice on the bread followed by a pile of the warm Italian beef
- Add a few strips of sautéed green bell pepper and another ladle of Beef juice.
- Top with giardiniera and dip the whole sandwich in the simmering juice for the “full” effect.