Whole Beef Tenderloin with an Herb Crust Smoked on a charcoal grill
- 1 center cut beef tenderloin
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3 Tablespoons Herb de Provence
- 1 Tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 Tablespoon course ground black pepper
Creamy Dill Horseradish Sauce
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 Tablespoon prepared horse radish
- 1 Tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 Tablespoon fresh chopped dill
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
Combine ingredients in a small bowl and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Prepare charcoal grill for indirect 2 zone cooking.
- Remove excess fat and sinew from outer surface of beef tenderloin
- Combine herbs de provence, salt, and black pepper in a shaker dredge. Apply olive oil to the outside of the beef tenderloin and season well with the herb mixture.
- Allow the beef tenderloin 30 minutes to come to room temperature.
- Place the tenderloin on the cool side of the grill away from the fire. Add 2 small chunks of pecan wood to the hot coals for smoke.
- Insert probe thermometer into the center of the tenderloin and cook until the temperature reaches 125 degrees about 40 minutes. (rotate the tenderloin 1/2 way through cooking process)
- Rest the tenderloin for 15 minutes loosely tented with aluminum foil. Slice into desired thickness and serve with Creamy Dill Horseradish sauce (recipe below)
Keywords: beef tenderloin, Tenderloin, filet mignon, whole beef tenderloin, how to bbq, smoked beef tenderloin, grilled beef tenderloin, beef tenderloin on the grill, beef tenderloin grill