This recipe is all about the smoke and spice. There’s no marinade, brine, glaze or anything that will take away for the texture. The seasoning builds a nice crust on the skin and it’s almost crispy with a kick of heat.
- 4lb Fresh Chicken Leg Quarters, skin on (any pieces of chicken can be substituted)
- ¼ Cup Peanut Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Coarse Kosher Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar in Raw
- 1 Tablespoon Paprika
- 1 Tablespoon Smoked Paprika
- 1 Tablespoon Herbs de Provence
- ½ Tablespoon Coarse Ground Black Pepper
- ½ Tablespoon Garlic Flakes
- ½ Tablespoon Onion Flakes
- 1 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon White Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper
- Preheat pellet smoker to 300 degrees using pecan wood pellets for smoke flavor. You can use any grill or smoker for this recipe just keep the temperature steady at 300 degrees.
- Pat the chicken dry with paper towel to remove excess moisture. Trim away any unwanted skin or fat if necessary.
- Lightly brush the outer surface of each leg quarter with peanut oil.
- To make the spicy chicken seasoning: Combine the remaining ingredients in a jar and shake well.
- Place the seasoning in a shaker dredge with large openings. Coat the outside of the leg quarters with a medium heavy coat of the seasoning.
- Place each leg quarter on the pellet grill and cook until internal temperature reaches 175 degrees in the thickest part of the thigh. (For white meat the internal needs to reach 165 degrees)
- Remove each piece from the smoker and rest for 5 minutes before serving.
- Category: smoked chicken
- Cuisine: barbecue
Keywords: Spicy Mississippi Chicken, Spicy Smoked Chicken, smoked chicken quarters, bbq chicken, smoked chicken recipes, pellet smoker