For this recipe I’m using boneless, skinless chicken thighs in a cilantro lime marinade, seasoned and cooked fast over charcoal. It’s a simple recipe that is packed with flavor; and when you pair it with fresh toppings and a creamy sauce – you have something really special.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 2 Tablespoons Grande Gringo Mexican Seasoning
Cilantro Lime Marinade:
- ½ cup canola oil
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup fresh lime juice
- Zest from one lime
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup finely diced onion
- 6 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
Creamy Lime Taco Sauce
- ¼ cup sour cream
- Zest from one lime
- Fresh Juice from half lime
- 1 teaspoon Mexican style hot sauce
- Pinch of Salt and Black Pepper
- Combine the sour cream, lime zest, lime juice, and hot sauce in a small bowl. Add water 1 teaspoon at a time until the sauce mixture reaches a thin consistency (about 2-3 teaspoons, it should run off the spoon slowly) Season with a pinch of salt and black pepper to taste.
- Trim any excess fat from the boneless, skinless chicken thighs and place the thighs in a gallon size zip top bag.
- Make the marinade using the ingredients above and pour over the thighs. Squeeze as much air as possible out of the bag and close. Refrigerate the thighs in the marinade for 1-2 hours.
- Prepare a charcoal grill for 2 zone grilling. Hot coals on one side and a cool zone on the other.
- Remove the thighs from the marinade and allow any excess liquid to drip off. Season each side with Grande Gringo Mexican style seasoning.
- Place the chicken thighs on the cool side of the grill and cook for 5 minutes. Flip the thighs and cook an additional 5 minutes.
- Move the thighs over to the direct grilling side and sear each side (about 2-3 minuets each side). Thighs are done when the internal temperature reaches 175°F.
- Rest the chicken thighs for 5 minutes and slice into thin strips.
To build the Tacos:
- 1 package of soft flour tortillas (taco size) warmed on the grill
- ½ cup pico de Gallo
- 1 ripe avocado sliced thin
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 lime cut into wedges
- Mexican style hot sauce
- Creamy lime taco sauce* recipe above
Keywords: grilled chicken tacos