Smoked Turkey seasoned with Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub, glazed with barbecue sauce and served with a White BBQ Sauce
- 1 whole turkey 12-14lbs
- 1 cup Malcom’s Bird Brine
- 1 cup Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub
- 1 gallon Apple juice
- 1 green apple
- 1 orange
- 1 lemon
- 1 lime
- 2–3 Tablespoons Peanut Oil
- 1 stick butter melted
Malcom’s White BBQ Sauce Recipe:
- 2 cups Mayo
- ½ cup Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Course Ground Black Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Granulated Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Horseradish (optional)
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cayenne Pepper
- Juice from 2 Lemons
- Whisk the ingredients in a large bowl and store in the refrigerator for a few hours before serving.
- Remove neck and giblets from turkey and place in a meat bag or large container. Pour in 1 cup of Bird Brine and 1 cup Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub. Add apple juice and extra water if necessary to cover bird. Squeeze air out of bag and secure. Place in refrigerator for 48 hrs.
- Remove turkey from brine and rinse under cool water, pat the skin dry with paper towel and place bird on a raised rack over a sheet pan to air dry for 1 hour in the refrigerator
- Prepare Traeger pellet smoker or other grill for indirect cooking at 300 degrees using apple pellets for smoke flavor.
- Stuff the cavity of the turkey with the fruit cut into quarters. Tie the legs together with butcher twine.
- Coat the skin with peanut oil and season the turkey with The BBQ Rub on all sides.
- Place the turkey breast side up on the pit and cook until internal temperature hits 155°F in the breast. Baste with melted butter as needed.
- Once the breast internal hits 155°F glaze the outside with The BBQ Sauce and continue to cook until internal temp hits 165°F in the breast about 20-30 minutes.
- Rest the turkey for 15 minutes before carving. For bbq turkey I like to serve it pulled but you an also serve it sliced.