Grilled Flat Iron Steak with Chili Coffee Rub
- 2lbs flat iron steak
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup Chili Coffee Rub* recipe below
- 3 Tablespoons Chimi Churri seasoning
- 3 Tablespoons white vinegar
- 6 Tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Chili Coffee Rub Recipe
- 2 Tablespoons salt
- 2 Tablespoons raw sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1 Tablespoon chili powder
- 1 Tablespoon paprika
- 1 Tablespoon coffee
- 1/2 Tablespoon garlic
- 1 teaspoon ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and pour into a dredge shaker.
- Prepare charcoal grill for direct high heat searing at 550°F (I use a set of Grill Grates for sear marks but they are optional)
- Drizzle olive oil on both sides of the flat iron steak and season heavily with the Chili Coffee Rub. Allow the seasoning to sit on the steak for 20 minutes while the grill comes up to temperature.
- Before grilling the steak add the chimi churri seasoning to a small bowl. Pour in the vinegar and stir to combine. Let it sit for 10 minutes then drizzle in the extra virgin olive oil stirring to incorporate. Set the sauce to the side for serving.
- To grill the flat iron. Place the steak on the hot grill and set a timer for 3 minutes. Rotate the steak 90 degrees after the timer goes off and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Flip the steak over and repeat the same process until the internal temperature reaches 125-130 degrees for medium rare.
- Remove the flat iron from the grill and rest for 5-7 minutes before slicing against the grain into bite size slices. Serve with the chimi churri sauce.