How to make delicious and authentic Beef Cheek Birria Tacos. For this recipe I use Beef Cheeks (but you can substitute chuck roast) and serve them with melted cheese, cilantro, radish, and white onion. And don’t forget, about that delicious consomé dipping sauce!
- 3# beef cheeks – trimmed
- 1/2 cup Malcom’s Grande Gringo Mexican Seasoning
- 2 dried Ancho Chilies
- 2 dried Guajillo peppers
- 2 dried chili de arbol
- 1 white onion
- 5–6 cloves garlic
- 14oz crushed tomato
- 32oz Beef Broth
- Salt and Pepper as needed
- 1 dozen flour or corn tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Mexican style cheese
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2–3 radish thinly sliced
- ½ finely chopped onion
- Prepare pellet grill for smoking at 250°F, trim excess fat and silver skin from beef cheeks and season heavily with Grande Gringo seasoning.
- Place beef cheeks on the pellet grill and smoke for 1 ½ hours.
- Remove the stems and seeds from the peppers and peel and half the onion. Place the peppers, onion, garlic cloves, and 2 Tablespoons of Grande Gringo in a dutch oven. Fill with water to cover everything and bring to a boil. Reduce to simmer and continue to cook for about 15 min.
- Carefully transfer the vegetables to a blender saving the liquid for later use. Add crushed tomatoes, a handful of cilantro, and ½ cup of the reserved liquid. Pulse the blender until smooth adding additional liquid if necessary.
- Place the smoked beef cheeks in the dutch oven, pour the mixture from the blender over the beef cheeks, and add beef broth. making sure they’re slightly covered with the braising liquid. If more liquid is needed use the reserved liquid.
- Place the dutch oven on the grill and adjust the temperature to 350°. Continue to cook until the beef cheeks are fork tender – about 3 hours.
- Carefully remove the beef cheeks from the braising liquid. Shred the cheeks by hand and place in a small pan along with a ladle of the braising liquid to keep the meat moist.
- To make the Birria tacos: Dip the tortillas in the consume and place on a heated flat top grill. Flip after 20 seconds and add some of the shredded beef cheeks along with plenty of the shredded cheese, Fold the tortilla over to form a taco and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side or until cheese has melted and the outsides are begin to brown
- Serve with cilantro, radish, and finely diced white onion along with a bowl of the consume for dipping
Keywords: beef cheek birria tacos, beef cheeks, birria, birria tacos, bbq birria, best smoked birria tacos