Juicy, delicious smoked chicken halves.
- 1 whole chicken
- 1 gallon BBQ Brine (recipe below)
- 3 Tablespoons Killer Hogs Hot Rub
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 bottle Killer Hogs The BBQ Sauce
- Place whole chicken in a large meat bag or vessel large enough to hold it plus the brine liquid (recipe below). Pour the brine liquid over it and place in refrigerator for 6 hours.
- Prepare smoker for indirect cooking at 275 degrees using hickory wood for smoke.
- Remove the chicken from the brine and pat dry with paper towel.
- Flip the chicken breast down and use meat scissors to remove the backbone. Flip it over and use a heavy chef knife to divide the bird into 2 halves.
- Season each half on both sides with Killer Hogs Hot BBQ Rub.
- Place the chicken halves on the pit and smoke for 1.5 hours.
- Wrap each chicken half in foil – tear off enough foil to cover the half, split a stick of butter in half lengthwise, lay the butter on the foil and place half of chicken skin side down on the butter, season the back side with more Hot Rub, and close the foil up tight.
- Place the wrapped halves back on the pit and cook for another 1.5 hours or until internal temperature reaches 165F degrees in the breast.
- Carefully remove each chicken half from the foil wrap, season lightly with more hot rub followed by a good drizzle of The BBQ Sauce. Place each half back on the pit for 15 minutes then serve.
Keywords: smoked half chicken, chicken halves, bbq chicken halves, best bbq chicken, barbecue chicken