June 5, 2015

Smoked Mac & Cheese Recipe

– 2 Tablespoons Butter
– 2 Tablespoons Flour
– 2 Cups Heavy Cream
– 1LB. Extra Sharp Cheddar (shredded)
– ½LB. Monterey Jack (shredded)
– 1-2 Tablespoons Hot Sauce
– 2 teaspoons All Purpose Seasoning
– 1 Cup Mayo
– 1 Cup Sour Cream
– 12oz Elbow Macaroni Noodles
– 1/2 Cup Panko
– 12oz Thin Sliced Bacon

Get your smoker up to 350 degrees and allow to stabilize for 15 – 20 minutes. Or
Prepare pasta (al dente) according to package directions and set aside. Grate both cheeses and set aside.

smoked mac & cheese

Cook bacon until crispy (we suggest placing bacon on a baking sheet and placing in a 400 degree oven for 10 – 15 minutes. You want the bacon to be crispy and not limp). Immediately remove bacon from baking sheet and allow to drain on a paper towel. Finely chop bacon with food processor and set aside.

In saucepan, heat 2 tablespoons of butter and 2 tablespoons of flour over medium heat. Cook until the roux starts smelling a little nutty. At that point, add 1/2 cup of the heavy cream and stir until sauce thickens. Add an additional 1/2 cup of heavy cream and stir for 1-2 minutes and then add final 1 cup of heavy cream and stir until sauce is smooth and thick.

Add grated cheese to sauce slowly stirring until the cheese is blended and sauce is smooth and creamy. Add 1-2 tablespoons of your favorite hot sauce (depending on the heat level you desire).

smoked mac & cheese

Mix together pasta, sauce, mayo and sour cream and pour into a smoker-safe dish. If possible, use a 13-inch cast iron skillet – and make sure it has been oil, seasoned or sprayed with a good non-stick spray. Be sure not to over-fill.

smoked mac & cheese recipe

Mix ½ cup of panko with chopped bacon. Top mac & cheese with panko/bacon mixture
To smoke the mac & cheese, place the skillet in your 350 degree smoker for 1 hour (or until mac & cheese becomes hot and bubbly). Make sure to check halfway through the cooking time because smokers and grills will vary. If mac & cheese is getting too dark, you can always cover with foil and continue cooking.

smoked mac & cheese recipe

If a darker crust is desired for mac & cheese, place skillet in oven, under the broiler, 4 inches from the heat, until the top is golden and bubbling, 3 to 4 minutes. Serve immediately.

smoked mac & cheese recipe

October 5, 2017
General Tso’s Wings
General Tso’s Wings
September 29, 2017

28 Comments

1. tim says:

How do you cook a beef roast.
    Do you cook it the same way as a pork roast.

2. josh says:

Malcom,
    I love the sight of this recipe and am going to try it this weekend for my family. I’m going to have a bone in turkey breast in at about 300 until done so I wanted to add this as well on my second rack (uds smoker). Do you think it would cook ok at 300 and if so how long? Thanks and keep up the good work.

3. Tim says:

The bacon Mac and Cheese is ridiculous. Made a pan today with done ribs and brisket done in my MES and everything turned out great but the Mac almost took the whole show!

• Craig Richmond says:

Hi Malcom, Just cured some fresh pork steaks and was going smoke them on my BGE. Didn’t know the temp and timing. Going to serve it with your Mac & Cheese for the Patriots game. (everywhere I go its the same thing. Can you bring Mac & Cheese). Was hoping you could help out us northern boys. Thanks, Craig

4. Harley says:

Followed recipe closely. Was a little too rich for me. Next time less bacon. Maybe cut out some of the cream? Just sayin.

5. Ted Kaczmarski says:

Malcom, I want to double this recipe for Thanksgiving using a 7Q Lodge dutch oven. Would you recommend doing that? If so, how long would you cook it for?

• Not sure, but I would guess at least 45 minutes more – you might need to let it go in the smoker and then transfer it to the oven to finish if the smoker isn’t giving you an even cook to finish it out.

6. ben says:

What kind of wood do you reco for the mac and cheese? BTW i friggen love your site. ive made about 4 things so far from it. Keep it up. I would love to see more sides on here to make with the smoked meats.

• A mild wood works best – apple or cherry

• Juan P says:

Hey Malcom , I’m learning so much from you . I really appreciate all you do for the BBQ enthusiasts. I made your Mac n cheese and a 12hr slow smoked pork should , and your mac n cheese recipe stole the show ! I smoked it with apple wood and it knocked the socks off everyone. I have family members giving me money to by the ingredients to make the food !
        Thanks , Juan

7. Carolyn E Aspenson says:

Hi,
    Just discovered you via a friend on Facebook. I am going to try the mac and cheese and was wondering if I could smoke it the same time I do babyback ribs and if so what temp? Keep the good recipes coming. We just started smoking and are loving it!

8. Pat says:

How many chunks of wood would you reccomend when smoking the mac & Cheese? Planning on bringing this to my folks house on Christmas day. If I make it a few hours a head of time think it will be ok to re-heat ? Thanks! Love your site!

9. Jay says:

Malcom,

This was a hit with the company I had over. I was asked to make it again this weekend. Have you tried different cheese blends? Also, when you make yours do you find it to be really oily when done?

Thanks again and keep up the great work!!

10. Zack says:

Thanks Malcolm,

Looking forward to making this for about 40 people next weekend. Would you prepare this differently in an aluminum disposable pan than you would in a cast iron?

11. Carrie Levesque says:

Can the mac and cheese be done in the oven? I do not have a smoker.
    Thanks,
    Carrie

12. Jack says:

Hey Malcom could I put everything together the night before then throw it on the smoker the next day for the smoked Mac and cheese?

13. Kasy Allen says:

This recipe is my heart song! Since we’ve discovered it, we’ve probably shared it with half the community and they’ve all asked for the recipe. Amazing job Malcom, such a great recipe!

14. John Fogle says:

can this Recipe be cooked in a Master built electric smoker