Smoked Brisket Shepherd’s PieThis is a recipe I’ve been wanting to do for a while…. Shepherd’s Pie using smoked beef brisket. I smoked the brisket on my pellet grill and cooked the Brisket Pie in a big cast iron pan. WHAT MALCOM USED IN THIS RECIPE: Print
Shepherd’s Pie using slow-smoked beef brisket and topped with homemade mashed potatoes.
- 1 brisket flat 4lbs or larger
- 2 Tablespoons Killer Hogs TX Rub
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 1 pint sliced mushrooms
- 1 head of fresh garlic chopped
- 2 Tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 can beef consume
- 1 can Guinness beer
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 5–6 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 cup brown gravy (from packet – follow package directions)
- 24oz mashed potatoes
- 1 cup Irish mild cheddar cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Finely chopped Parsley for garnish
- Prepare pellet grill for indirect cooking at 250°F using pecan pellets for fuel and smoke. You can cook this recipe on any pit just use the recommend cooking temperature.
- Trim sinew and excess fat from brisket flat and season heavily with Killer Hogs TX Rub.
- Place brisket flat on pit and cook until the outer surface develops a mahogany/dark color.
- Cube the brisket into bite size portions and place in a large aluminum pan. To the pan add chopped onion, garlic, sliced mushrooms, tomato paste, thyme, beef consume, Guiness beer, and Worcestershire sauce. Cover the pan with foil and place back on pit.
- Check the brisket bites after 2 hours for softness. When you can squeeze them and they almost fall apart, they’re done.
- Remove the pan from the pit and carefully separate the brisket chunks from the drippings in the pan. Discard any pieces of thyme stems at this point.
- Combine the brisket drippings with the brown gravy (just mix a brown gravy packet with water and heat until it starts to thicken). Pour this gravy mixture over the brisket chunks and gently fold so everything is covered.
- Spoon the brisket chunks into a large cast iron skillet and top with mashed potatoes.
- Add the parmesan and shredded cheddar to the top, garnish with a little chopped parsley, and place back on the pit. At this point I crank the heat up to 350°F.
- Once the cheese has melted and the top has started to brown it’s done. Carefully remove from the grill and serve.
Keywords: Brisket shepherd’s pie, shepherd’s pie recipe, shepherds pie, shepherds pie recipe, smoked brisket, brisket flat, brisket cottage pie, beef brisket, smoked shepherd’s pie, traeger recipes, traeger pellet grill
Have a Question About This Recipe?
Connect with us in our HowToBBQRight Facebook group for recipe help, to share your pictures, giveaways, and more!