Venison Tacos – Deer Backstrap seasoned with Mexican Seasonings and smoked until medium rare. Then the venison backstop is sliced and served as deer tacos on a tortilla with fajita vegetables and a Gringo Green Sauce.WHAT MALCOM USED IN THIS RECIPE:
- Malcom’s Grande Gringo Seasoning
- Killer Hogs AP Seasoning
- Black Nitrile Gloves
- White “Hand Saver” Gloves
Backstrap Tacos Recipe – Deer (Venison) Backstrap seasoned with Mexican Seasonings and smoked until medium rare. Then served on a tortilla with fajita vegetables and a Gringo Green Sauce.
- 1 venison backstop trimmed and halved
- 1/4 cup Malcom’s Grande Gringo Mexican Seasoning
- 1 medium yellow onion sliced
- 1 green bell pepper sliced
- 8oz white button mushrooms sliced
- 3 roma tomatoes sliced
- 1 dozen flour tortillas – taco size
- 8oz Gringo Green Sauce* recipe below
- Fresh cilantro and cotija cheese for serving
Gringo Green Sauce
- 8oz sour cream
- 1 large Haas Avocado
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 jalapeño pepper roughly chopped
- 2 teaspoons Malcom’s Grande Gringo Mexican Seasoning
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/4 cup water (more/less as needed)
Place ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Scrape down the sides and add a water 1 Tablespoon at a time until it reaches the desired consistency. Sauce should be smooth not chunky.
- Season venison back strap on all sides with Grande Gringo seasoning.
- Prepare pellet grill or other grill/smoker for indirect coking at 250°F.
- Place backstop on the cooking grate and smoke until internal temperature reaches 125°F on instant read thermometer. *cook until your desired doneness but I recommend medium rare
- While back strap is on smoker sauté’ onions, bell pepper, and mushrooms on flat top griddle.
- Season with Salt, Pepper, & Garlic and cook for 5-7 minutes. Add the tomatoes and continue to cook for 2 minutes or until tomatoes begin to soften and slightly char.
- Remove the back strap from the grill once it reaches 125°F internal and rest for 5-7 minutes.
- Slice into thin strips and serve on warm flour tortillas with sautéed vegetables, chopped cilantro, cotija cheese, and Gringo Green sauce*.
Keywords: taco, deer taco, deer backstrap, backstrap, venison
Have a Question About This Recipe?
Connect with us in our HowToBBQRight Facebook group for recipe help, to share your pictures, giveaways, and more!