Mississippi Haymaker RecipeEvery Pitmaster needs a good drink to cool down after a hot day manning the fire, and I have a great one for you right here. I call it a Mississippi Haymaker and it’s packed with refreshing flavors guaranteed to quench your thirst! This recipe was adapted from an old farmer’s drink (haymaker’s punch). It was drunk after a hot day’s work gathering hay. The original combines lemon, ginger, molasses, and vinegar into a sweet-tangy drink that rehydrates you better than regular water according to old timers. I like the lemon and ginger combo in this punch and decided that it would make a great “adult” beverage for those hot summer BBQ’s. I call it the Mississippi Haymaker (cause I’m from Mississippi) and they are delicious and refreshing. Print
Mississippi Haymaker Recipe
- 4oz Ginger Simple Syrup*
- 4oz Water
- 2oz Lemon Juice
- 2oz Four Roses Bourbon
- 1 teaspoon Apple Cider Vinegar
- Lemon slices for garnish
Ginger Simple Syrup:
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 cup Water
- ¼ cup fresh chopped ginger
- Combine the sugar and water in a small boiler over medium high heat. Bring to a boil stirring to dissolve the sugar. Add the ginger and return to boil. Remove from heat and steep for ½ hour. Strain the syrup and store in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Fill a quart mason jar with ice.
- Add bourbon, lemon juice, ginger syrup, water, and cider vinegar.
- Place lid on jar and shake, garnish jar with lemon slices and serve.
Have a Question About This Recipe?
Connect with us in our HowToBBQRight Facebook group for recipe help, to share your pictures, giveaways, and more!
I would like to see you do.a turkey and how it is done right on a Yoder.
I have several smoked turkey recipes https://howtobbqright.com/?s=turkey
Man this is a very good cocktail. Made it with Wellers since I could not find my 4roses. Even my bourbon hating wife enjoyed it.
This is the best drink I’ve ever tasted. Absolutely delicious!
Refreshing summer cocktail! And dangerous! Works well with a good rye whiskey (I tried Old Forester). I like substituting club soda for the water for that little extra tingle.
LOVE it. Refreshing.
This is a great drink very refreshing….. something you could drink all day but could also sneak up on you! AWSOME cocktail
Delicious and so refreshing! Big Fan of your YouTube channel!
We love this drink! What made you want to include apple cider vinegar? It’s yummy!