Grilled Cuban SandwichIf you’re a fan of Cuban Sandwiches then you’re going to love this Grilled Cuban Sandwich recipe. First I make a fresh mojo marinade and cover 2 whole pork tenderloins in it for a couple hours. (Be sure to reserve ½ cup of the marinade for the glaze). Once the pork has soaked up all the delicious flavor from the marinade, fire up the Big Green Egg and bring the temperature to 275-300⁰ throw a few chunks of Hickory grillewood.com on the hot coals for smoke. Place the tenderloins on the grill and cook for about 40 minutes. Use the reserved marinade to make a mojo glaze: Heat a small pot over medium high heat and add the marinade, ¼ cup sugar, ¼ cup honey, 2 Tablespoons cider vinegar and 2 Tablespoons Yellow mustard. Whisk it all together and reduce by half until it forms a thick glaze. Once the pork tenderloins hit about 140 internal (about 40 minutes on the grill) brush the outside with the glaze and continue to cook for another 10 minutes or an internal of 145-150⁰. Get them off the heat and rest for 10 minutes before slicing into thin pieces. I’m checking the internal temp with the new Thermapan IR, you can check it out here>> Crank the grill heat up to 375⁰ by opening the vents and get ready to assemble the sandwiches. First split a couple loaves of French or Italian bread in half lengthwise creating a top and bottom piece. Spread yellow mustard on the inside of both halves and layer with Swiss Cheese slices, dill pickles, Deli Style smoked honey ham, and plenty of slices of the tenderloin. Top with the other half of bread and place a few pats of butter on top. When the grill is good and hot, place the sandwiches on directly on the rack and use a heavy case iron pan to press them down. Cook for 4-5 minutes and flip over and repeat the process. Carefully remove them from the grill (they will be smokin’ hot!) and cut in half to serve. Cuban Sandwiches are packed with flavor from the marinated pork to the crispness of the dill pickle and creaminess of the swiss cheese. It’s one sandwich that’s guaranteed to make your taste buds happy! Print
- 2 pork tenderloins 1 ½-2lbs ea
- 16oz Mojo Marinade *recipe below
- ½ lb Deli Smoked Honey Ham sliced thin
- ½ lb Baby Swiss Cheese sliced thin
- 2 Loaves French or Italian Bread
- Sliced Dill Pickles
- 1 ½ cup Orange Juice
- ¾ cup Olive Oil
- ¼ cup Lime Juice
- ½ cup fresh Cilantro chopped
- 4–5 cloves Garlic minced
- 2 Tablespoons fresh Mint chopped
- 1 Tablespoon Orange Zest
- 1 Tablespoon Oregano
- 2 teaspoons Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- Place all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until combined. Reserve ½ cup of marinade for glaze.
- ½ cup Mojo marinade
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup honey
- 2 Tablespoons Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Yellow Mustard
- Place ingredients in a small pot over medium high heat. Whisk to combine and reduce by half until it begins to thicken. Place in small jar or bowl until ready for use.
- Prepare Mojo Marinade *recipe below and reserve ½ cup for glaze. Place pork tenderloin in ziplock bag and pour marinade over. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Prepare Big Green Egg or other grill for indirect smoking at 275⁰; add chunks of hickory wood to the hot coals for smoke flavor.
- Drain excess marinade from tenderloin and place on grill. Cook for 40-45 min or until internal temp reaches 140⁰. Apply glaze *recipe below, and continue to cook for 10 minutes or until internal reaches 145-150⁰.
- Remove tenderloin from grill and rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Adjust vents on grill to increase temperature to 375⁰.
- Slice French bread in half lengthwise and spread mustard on both inner sides. Layer swiss cheese, pickle slices, ham and pork tenderloin slices and place bread on top.
- Place 3-4 pats of butter on bread and place on grill. Weight sandwich down with iron skillet and cook for 4-5 minutes. Flip sandwich and cook an additional 4-5 minutes, remove from grill and serve.