Barbecue Baked Beans RecipeMy mom was always in charge of making the beans for our family barbecues, and this recipe reminds of the barbecue baked beans she made. There isn’t anything fancy about this recipe, and I can’t recall her ever measuring the ingredients. My mom tasted as she went (I’m sure that’s why she’s such a good cook); and when the beans were just right, they were ready for the smoker. The one thing that was always the same with her beans was the ShowBoat brand pork & beans. I will beat that just about every household in the south has a can of these somewhere in the pantry. She would drain several cans of pork & beans (leaving the hunks of fat) into a large pan or dutch oven and then start adding the ingredients that turns them into barbecue beans. Brown Sugar and Sweet Onion always went in along with ketchup, mustard, and Worcestershire. She would add whatever sauce was on sale or in the fridge and follow that with BBQ seasonings from the spice cabinet. We didn’t have any fancy rubs back then, so lots of time she would concoct her own. Once the beans tasted up to her satisfaction they went on the smoker for about 3 hours. There wasn’t any specific time or temperature but the beans were always ready when it was time to serve the meat. Print
- 75oz Showboat Pork & Beans (5-15oz cans)
- 1 Vidalia Onion diced
- 1 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1 cup BBQ Sauce (use your favorite brand or what’s on sale)
- 1/2 cup Ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons Mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire
- 1/2 cup BBQ Rub (any bbq rub will work for beans)
- Prepare charcoal smoker or other grill for indirect cooking at 250-275 degrees. Use your favorite wood for smoke flavor.
- Drain the pork & beans and pour into an aluminum pan.
- Add the diced onion, brown sugar, ketchup, mustard, BBQ Sauce, Worcestershire Sauce, and BBQ Rub.
- Gently fold to incorporate the ingredients and cook smoke uncovered for 2.5-3 hours or until onions are soft and liquid has thickened slightly.
Have a Question About This Recipe?
Connect with us in our HowToBBQRight Facebook group for recipe help, to share your pictures, giveaways, and more!