Tomahawk Ribeye Steak RecipeWhether you call it a Caveman, Cowboy, or Tomahawk; this ribeye steak is the King. Weighing in at well over 3lbs, it’s one “Hoss” of a steak. If you’re going to shell out the money for a prime cut like this you want to be sure to know how to cook it right. For this recipe I fire up my PK 360 set up for a 2 zone fire – hot side and cool side; I also add a set of GrillGrates for even cooking temps and perfect grill marks. Season the steak with a good dose of Salt, Black Pepper, and Garlic; I use my Killer Hogs AP Rub but you can use your favorite seasonings. Let it hang out at room temperature for a half hour so the seasonings can start working into the meat. After 30 minutes apply a light coat of coarse Killer Hogs Steak Rub and sear it on the hot side of the grill about 5 minutes each side. Be sure to give it a twist half way through each side so the steak develops grill marks. Carefully take the tomahawk off the grill (use a good set of grill gloves) and place it on a raised rack over the cool side of the grill. At this point you want to monitor the internal temperature. Insert a probe thermometer (I use the Thermoworks ChefAlarm) into the center of the steak set for 125⁰ or your desired doneness. Place a shallow aluminum pan under the steak and add a stick of butter, fresh sprigs of rosemary and thyme, and ¼ cup olive oil. As the steak cooks, baste it with the butter mixture. Once it hits desired internal temperature…I like it medium rare…remove it from the grill and rest for at least 10 minutes. A steak like this is great served right on the cutting board. Cut the bone off and simply slice it into desired pieces against the grain. And don’t forget to gnaw on that bone… That’s where the best flavor is!! Print
Whether you call it a Caveman, Cowboy, or Tomahawk; this ribeye steak is the King. A steak like this is great served right on the cutting board. Cut the bone off and simply slice it into desired pieces against the grain.
- 2.5 – 3lb Tomahawk Ribeye Steak
- 2 TBS Killer Hogs The AP Rub
- 1 TBS Killer Hogs Steak Rub
- 1 Stick Butter
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 1 bunch Fresh Rosemary
- 1 Bunch Fresh Thyme
- 1 head Garlic peeled
- Apply medium to heavy coat of Killer Hogs The AP Rub or your favorite seasoning to all sides of the ribeye and rest for 30 minutes at room temperature.
- Prepare PK Grill or other charcoal grill for 2 zone cooking.
- After the steak rest for 30 minutes apply a light coat of Killer Hogs Steak Rub and sear over the hot side of the grill for 2.5 minutes then twist and cook an additional 2.5 minutes to form grill marks on the steak. Flip the steak over and repeat this process.
- Move the steak to a raised rack over the cool side of the grill and stick a probe thermometer into the center of the loin set for desired doneness.
- Place a shallow aluminum pan directly under the steak and add butter, garlic, rosemary, thyme, and olive oil.
- Baste the steak with the butter mixture every 10 minutes until it reaches desired doneness.
- Rest the steak for at least 10 minutes on the cutting board or platter before serving.
- Category: Entree
- Cuisine: Barbecue
Have a Question About This Recipe?
Connect with us in our HowToBBQRight Facebook group for recipe help, to share your pictures, giveaways, and more!