Brazilian Style Garlic SirloinBrazilian Style Garlic Sirloin (Brazilian Churrasco) is a style of bbq where skewers of meat are cooked over hot coals. It’s bbq at its simplest form and absolutely delicious! One of my favorite recipes for Churrasco is Garlic Sirloin and here’s how you do it: For this Brazilian Style Garlic Sirloin recipe, you’ll need about a 3lb piece of Top Sirloin beef roast. Your butcher should have no problem cutting this for you. I always tell him to leave some of the fat cap on the sirloin as well. It adds a lot of flavor to the beef as it spins over the hot coals. Cut the sirloin into 2”x 2” pieces and place them in a large zip lock bag. In Churrasco simple ingredients are used, so there’s nothing fancy going on here. I add 1 cup each of vegetable oil and water to the bag along with the juice of 1 lime and a whole head of garlic chopped up fine. Work the meat around in the bag so the marinade covers everything and let it hang out in the refrigerator for a couple hours. Fire up your rotisserie grill for this cook; I’m using my Weber kettle set up with a rotisserie ring and motor. Divide a chimney of hot coals into baskets on each side of the grill. You can duplicate this recipe on any rotisserie set up just run the grill temp in the 450⁰ range. Remove the sirloin chunks from the marinade and allow the excess liquid to drip off. Thread each piece onto the rotisserie rod. I try and fold the pieces with the fat cap facing the outside, so it can render & char. Season all sides of the meat with a good dose of Sea Salt. This is the only seasoning you’ll need for this cook. Place the rod in the rotisserie motor and the let the spinning begin. It’ll take about 20-25 minutes for the garlic sirloin to cook. I like my Brazilian Style Garlic Sirloin on the medium rare side (about 130-135⁰), but feel free to cook it as done as you like. This is where a good Thermapen comes in handy >> Be sure to wear some heat resistant gloves when removing the rod from the grill. It will be extremely hot. I let it hang out on the cutting board for about 5 minutes then carefully slide each piece off the skewer. It’s ready to serve at this point and goes great with a fresh chimichurri sauce. Print
- 3lb Top Sirloin Roast
- ½ cup Vegetable Oil
- ½ cup Water
- 1 head of garlic minced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 Tablespoons Coarse Sea Salt
- Cut sirloin into 2”x 2” cubes. Leave as much fat cap on the meat as possible.
- Place the meat into a ziptop storage bag and add vegetable oil, water, garlic, and juice of 1 lime. Work the marinade around so all meat is covered, and marinate for 2 hours in refrigerator.
- Prepare charcoal rotisserie grill for cooking. Propane rotisserie grill will work as well.
- Remove meat from marinade and allow excess liquid to drain. Skewer each piece of sirloin onto rotisserie rod.
- Season all sides with Sea Salt and place rod into the rotisserie motor.
- Cook over hot coals for approximately 20-25 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 130⁰-135⁰ or your preferred doneness.
- Use heat proof gloves to remove rotisserie rod. Carefully slide each piece of sirloin off the skewer and serve.