Barbecue Catfish RecipeMississippi raises the best tasting catfish in the world. Of course we know how to fry these pond raised delicacies, but it’s also great as Barbecue Catfish prepared on the grill. For this Barbecue Catfish recipe I’m firing up my Big Green Egg, but you can use any grill for this technique. Bring the grill temperature up to 400⁰ or medium high temperature. To create a flat grilling surface; I’m using the back side of my GrillGrates (you can check these out here >>). Just flip them over on the existing grate and spray a little vegetable cooking spray on the surface. This helps keep the fish from sticking. (The back-side of grillgrates is prefect for fish, veggies, or even burgers). But if you don’t have grill grates, you can use a cast iron skillet. Drizzle olive oil over the Barbecue Catfish filets and season each side with Lemon Pepper and Killer Hogs Hot BBQ Rub. Slice a couple lemons and limes into rounds and place 2-3 on the cooking surface. Top the lemon/lime slices with a single filet and grill for 4 minutes. Brush the BBQ Butter Glaze over the top of each filet and continue to cook for 5 additional minutes. BBQ Butter Glaze:
- ½ cup Killer Hogs The BBQ Sauce
- ½ stick Butter melted
- 1 Tablespoon Hot Sauce
- 2 teaspoons Lemon Juice
- 1 Bag of shredded Cole Slaw (white cabbage, red cabbage, & carrots)
- 1 cup Mayo
- 1 20oz can Crushed Pineapple (strained, reserve juice)
- 2 Tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Pineapple Juice
- 1 teaspoon Killer Hogs AP Rub (or use salt and pepper to taste)
- Combine mayo, crushed pineapple, apple cider vinegar, and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Season with AP Rub and fold into shredded cole slaw.
- Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator for 2 hours prior to serving.
- Prepare Big Green Egg or other grill for direct cooking medium high heat 375-400⁰. Place a set of grill grates on the grill upside down to create a flat surface for cooking. Coat the surface with vegetable cooking spray to prevent sticking.
- Drizzle back side of each catfish filet with olive oil and season with Lemon Pepper and Killer Hogs Hot BBQ Rub. Flip filets over and repeat on top side.
- Cut Lemons and Limes into thin slices.
- For each piece of catfish lay 2-3 Lemon/Lime slices on the grill surface and top with a filet.
- Grill fish for 5 minutes and brush the tops with BBQ Glaze; continue to grill for 4 minutes.
- Carefully flip each filet top side down on the grilling surface and cook an additional minute to sear the top side.
- Remove from the grill and serve.