Barbecue Smash Burger RecipeThere is just something about a crispy, juicy Barbecue Smash Burger! Take a quarter pound of good ground beef, form it into a ball, smash it on a hot griddle and cook on each side until it’s crispy and incredibly juicy – and you have a Barbecue Smash Burger. It doesn’t get much easier than this and I love to do them on my grill. For this recipe, I used a PK Grill 360. But the key to this recipe is having a good flat grilling surface. I use a set of GrillGrates flipped upside down. The GrillGrates make the perfect flat top grill and you still get all the flavor of the fire burning beneath. For the ground beef I go with a good 80/20 ground chuck. There’s plenty of fat in this mix and it makes for the perfect flat-top, smash burger. Form the ground chuck into 1/4lb balls and fire up the grill. When the GrillGrates is good and hot, spray it with a little vegetable oil and smash the burgers one at a time on the grate surface with a metal spatula. (note to self: get a spatula without grooves). Season each patty with a little Salt, Pepper, Garlic – Killer Hogs AP Rub is perfect. The Barbecue Smash Burger need about 4 minutes on each side. Don’t forget to season the backside once flipped and top with your favorite sliced cheese. I like cheddar but you can use whatever you like. After the first flip go ahead and start toasting the buns. Brush each side with a little melted butter and place them right on the flat top beside the burgers. When everything is ready it’s time to turn these into Barbecue Smash Burger. Layer yellow mustard and slices of dill pickle on the bottom half of the bun. Place a smash burger patty right on top and drizzle with Killer Hogs The BBQ Sauce. Add another burger patty just for good measure and drizzle it with even more bbq sauce. To top this burger off add a handful of French’s fried jalapeno slices for a little crunch and added heat. And the perfect side to serve alongside these burgers is a side of crispy waffle fries… Now it’s time to dive right in and enjoy the ride! Print
- 2lbs Ground Chuck 80/20
- 2 Tablespoons Killer Hogs AP Rub
- 2 Tablespoons Butter melted
- 12oz Sliced Cheddar Cheese
- 1 pack of Hamburger Buns
- ¼ cup Killer Hogs The BBQ Sauce
- ¼ cup Dill Pickle slices
- ¼ cup French’s Fried Jalapenos
- ¼ cup Yellow Mustard
- Prepare charcoal grill for direct cooking. Place a set of grill grates upside down on the cooking grate to create a flat top surface.
- Separate the ground chuck into equal size ball shape portions about 1/4lb each.
- Spray the grill grate surface with vegetable cooking spray and place the “meat balls” on the grate. Use a spatula to “smash” each one into a patty shape. Season with AP Rub and cook for 4 minutes.
- Flip each burger and season again with AP Rub. Continue to cook for an additional 4 minutes.
- Top with cheese slices and remove from grill once cheese is bubbly and melted.
- Brush the inside of each bun with melted butter and grill for a few minutes until golden brown.
- To assemble the burgers: Layer mustard and pickles on the bottom bun, top with a burger patty, drizzle of bbq sauce, another burger patty, more bbq sauce, and a final layer of fried jalapeno’s, and the top bun.
Have a Question About This Recipe?
Connect with us in our HowToBBQRight Facebook group for recipe help, to share your pictures, giveaways, and more!