“The Big Mon” Jerk Burger RecipeFor this burger recipe I channel my inner Bob Marley to bring a taste of Caribbean vibes to the grill. I start with 80/20 ground chuck formed into big 1/2 lb burger patties. Each one is seasoned with AP Seasoning (you can use salt & pepper) and my Jammin’ Jerk Seasoning (you can use any jerk seasoning) and grilled directly over charcoal. Just when the burgers are almost done, I brush the top with a sweet and spicy jerk sauce and let it caramelize over the top. To keep the island vibes going I also grill fresh pineapple spears that I season with a mixture of dark brown sugar and more jerk seasoning. The grill brings out extra sweetness in the pineapple and gives it a slightly smokey taste. The pineapple is then chopped and mixed with diced onion, sweet bell peppers, parsley, and cilantro. It’s awesome on this burger; but you can also serve it as a dip, or use it to go along with other dishes as well. (served over grilled chicken or pork chops would be fantastic). To finish out the Jamaican flavor I kick up mayo to create what I call my Calypso sauce. It’s mayo, ketchup, scotch bonnet pepper sauce, and a few seasonings. This sauce brings the Caribbean heat to the dish but the creamy mayo keeps it in check so you get a little burn. You can use as much or little of the scotch bonnet pepper sauce as you like. To build the burger I spread the Calypso sauce on the bottom half of a sesame seed bun. It’s topped with lettuce, sliced tomato, and pickles; and then the burger. For extra jerk flavor I drizzle on a little more jerk sauce and then pile up the pineapple relish on top. Finish it off with a little more Calypso on the upper bun and you have one Caribbean burger that will have you swaying to the Jamaican beats! Serve it will a cold red stripe beer or a big glass of Rum Punch and it will make your summer better! Print
1/2 lb burger patties are seasoned with Jerk rub, grilled directly over charcoal and topped with a sweet and spicy jerk sauce. Then served on a bun with a Grilled Pineapple Relish and a spicy Calypso Sauce for a perfect “Big Mon” Jerk Burger.
- 2lbs 80/20 Ground Chuck
- 1 Tablespoon AP Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon Jammin’ Jerk Seasoning
- 1 cup Jerk Sauce *recipe below
- 1cup pineapple relish *recipe below
- 4 Hamburger Buns
- Lettuce, tomato, and dill pickles slices
- Calypso sauce *recipe below
- 1/2 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire
- 2 Tablespoons Jammin’ Jerk Seasoning
- 1/2 cup Ketchup
- 1 Tablespoon Lemon juice
- 1 Tablespoon Water
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
Combine and microwave 5 min stirring 1/2 way through
- 1 pineapple peeled & cut into spears
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon Jammin’ Jerk Seasoning
- 1 small yellow onion finely diced
- 1/2 red bell pepper finely diced
- 1/2 orange bell pepper finely diced
- 1 Tablespoon cilantro chopped
- 1 Tablespoon parsley chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- Sprinkle brown sugar over pineapple spears, lightly season with jerk seasoning and brown sugar mixture, grill over medium heat until golden brown turning as needed about 20 minutes total.
- Remove the pineapple from the grill and chop. Place pineapple in a bowl.
- Add the onion, peppers, cilantro, parsley, season with salt, black pepper, and a dash of cayenne.
- Stir to combine and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 Tablespoons Scotch Bonnet Pepper Sauce
- Dash white pepper, salt, black pepper, and cayenne
Stir and refrigerate for 1 hour
- Prepare charcoal grill for direct grilling.
- Divide ground chuck into equal size portions about 1/2lb each. Use a burger press to form the hamburger patties and refrigerate the patties for 20 minutes to keep cool.
- Season each burger with AP seasoning followed by the Jammin’ Jerk
- Grill over direct heat for about 6 minutes per side. During the last few minutes of cooking brush the jerk sauce over the top of each burger.
- To build The Big Mon burger: spread Calypso sauce on the bottom bun followed by lettuce, sliced tomato, and dill pickle. Top with the burger patty and an extra drizzle of jerk sauce. Add a heaping spoon of pineapple relish over the burger. Spread a little more Calypso on the top bun and place it on top and serve.
Keywords: Big Mon Jerk Burger, Big Mon Burger, jerk burger, jamaican jerk burgers, Jerk Burger Recipe, jamaican style jerk burger