Chargrilled Pork Chop Sandwich RecipeThis recipe is great for a quick grilling session during the hot summer months – and this recipe makes one delicious Chargrilled Pork Chop Sandwich. I start with extra thick boneless pork chops cut from the center section of a pork loin roast. You want the chops about 2” thick to start. Butterfly each chop with a sharp knife taking care not to cut the chop all the way in half. Press the butterflied chop out flat on a cutting board and hit it with a jacquard meat tenderizer…This step makes it extra tender. Next take a gallon size zip top bag and split each side down the seam. Place the bag on the cutting board and lay the tenderized chop between the layers of the split bag. Use a meat mallet or heavy rolling pin to pound the chop out flat. It should be about a 1/4” at this point. Repeat these steps for all four chops. Fire up a charcoal grill with Royal Oak briquettes. When the coals are good and hot pour them to one side of the grill creating a two zone cooking environment. Place the cooking grate over the coals and allow the grill to come up to 450-500 degrees. Season each chop with a good dose of Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub followed by a light coat of Killer Hogs Steak Rub for texture. You can substitute your favorite bbq seasoning here if you wish. Place the chops over the hot zone of the grill and cook for 1 1/2 – 2 minutes before flipping. The goal here is to sear/char the thin chops without over cooking them. After flipping start basting each chop with Killer Hogs The BBQ Sauce. Continue to flip and baste each side every couple of minutes until both sides are char grilled and sticky. If the grill gets too hot you have the cool side to move the chops to slow it down. You’ll want to stay with these thin chops because it’s easy to burn them. Don’t walk away and it should take about 8 total minutes to on the grill. Once the chops are ready remove them from the grill and rest for 5-7 minutes. This is when I break out the cast iron skillet and grill some thin onion. Slice one vidalia sweet onion super thin. Place an iron skillet on the hot side of the grill and add 2 Tablespoons of butter. As it starts to melt add the thinly sliced onion and season with a pinch of Killer Hogs Steak Rub. Grill the onions in the iron skillet for about 5 minutes or until they’re soft. Slide the iron skillet over to the cool side and grill the buns for 30 seconds right over the hot coals. Then it’s time to build the Char Grilled Chop Sandwich. Lay the bottom bun on the cutting board or plate. Layer thinly sliced dill pickle chips on the bottom bun. Place one of the char grilled chops over the pickles and I like to add a good extra drizzle of The BBQ Sauce so it gets real messy! Pile up some of the grilled onions on top of the chop followed by a few crispy jalapeño chips for some crunch and added heat. Place the top bun over all of it and dig in! This is one Summer Sandwich I can get down on!! Print
Chargrilled Pork Chop Sandwich
- 4 Thick Cut, Boneless Pork Chops
- 1/4 Cup Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub
- 2 Tablespoons Killer Hogs Steak Rub
- 8oz Killer Hogs The BBQ Sauce
- 1 Vidalia Sweet Onion thinly sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 4 Jumbo Size Buns
- Dill Pickle Chips
- Crispy Jalapeno
- Butterfly each chop and tenderize with a jacquard meat tenderizer. Place each chop in a plastic zip top bag and pound out to 1/4” thickness using a meat mallet.
- Prepare charcoal grill for two zone fire (hot and cool side).
- Season each chop with The BBQ Rub on all sides. Lightly season with a coat of Steak Rub on both sides. Rest the chops for 20 minutes until the grill is ready to cook.
- Place each chop over the hot side of the grill (directly over coals) and grill for 1 1/2 – 2 minutes each side. Flip each chop, baste with The BBQ Sauce and continue to grill flipping and basting with sauce until the chops are done about 8 minutes total time. (move the chops to the cool zone if the fire gets too hot, this will prevent burning)
- Rest the chops for 5-7 minutes, meanwhile place a cast iron skillet over the hot side of the grill. Add 2 Tablespoons of butter and the onions. Season with a pinch of Steak Rub and grill until softened about 5 minutes. Also place the buns over the hot side of the grill and toast for 30 seconds or until brown.
- To assemble the sandwich: layer dill pickle chips on the bottom half of the bun. Place a char grilled chop over the pickles and drizzle with extra bbq sauce. Add grilled onions and a few crispy jalapeños then the top bun.
Have a Question About This Recipe?
Connect with us in our HowToBBQRight Facebook group for recipe help, to share your pictures, giveaways, and more!
Hello, can you use a pork-tenderloin in stead of a pork loin roast, or are they the same?
When I saw the video, I just had to try it. My family went crazy. My grandson Wyatt came back over today and finished off the last two. I’m planning to do it again this weekend and the family can hardly wait
i’m not one to reply to videos put this one deserves credit! i cooked it, awsome ! when all the kids ask for more you it’s a winner! thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!
My mouth is watering! Can’t wait to try this.
I cant find the crispy jalapeno. Where did you find it?
My 16 year old boy and I watched this video and every day he’s now coming home and says to me “pork chop sandwich?”
Tomorrow is the day! Can’t wait.
What temp would you use on a pellet grill?
My family and friends all love these and they are often requested. Super easy and taste great! Another home run from Malcolm.
How do you make the crispy jalapeno strips?
One of many of my favorites from Malcolm. Super easy and the crowd loves the chop sandwich. Thanks again, Malcom!
Hi Malcom, I really have to THANK YOU for your recipes as I do some serious cooking and have using up here in Ohio. You are a good send Sir