Brisket Style Tri TipI’ve seen a lot of people smoking tri tip like a brisket. And I’ve been skeptical… But I had to try it out and I was surprised. Smoking a Tri Tip like a brisket produced some flavorful, juicy meat. Some folks thought it was better than brisket. And it was a lot quicker to cook a tri tip that a whole brisket too. WHAT MALCOM USED IN THIS RECIPE:
- Wagyu Tri Tip sourced from The Butcher Shoppe
- Killer Hogs TX Brisket Rub
- Killer Hogs Hot Rub
- Royal Oak Tumbleweeds
- Thermoworks DOT
- Red Handled 12″ Brisket Slicer
Smoked Tri Tip cooked “Brisket Style” on a Stick Burner Pit smoked low and slow
- Trim excess fat and sinew from Tri-tip roast and season with a layer of Killer Hogs TX Rub followed by a light layer of Killer Hogs Hot Rub.
- Prepare smoker for indirect cooking at 275°F using pecan wood. This recipe was cooked on an Outlaw Stick Burning pit but you can use any pit – just keep the temps the same.
- Place the Tri-tip on the smoker, insert a probe thermometer into the thickest part of the roast and smoke for 2 hours or until the internal temperature reaches 160°F
- Wrap the tri-tip in pink butcher paper and return to the smoker.
- Continue to cook until the internal temperature reaches 200°F; at this point remove it from the pit and rest for 20 minutes before slicing against the grain.
Have a Question About This Recipe?
Connect with us in our HowToBBQRight Facebook group for recipe help, to share your pictures, giveaways, and more!