Malcom’s Delicious Dinners
Grilled Pollo Tapatio Recipe with Refried Beans and Salsa RicePrint
Grilled Pollo Tapatio Recipe
Grilled Chicken Breast over sautéed mushrooms and onions, covered with melty Mexican Cheese and crispy bacon. Served with Refried Beans and Salsa Rice.
- 6 thin cut chicken breast filets
- 8oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 medium white onion – thinly sliced
- 6–7 bacon slices cut into thirds
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican melting cheese
- 2 Tablespoons Malcom’s Grande Gringo Mexican Seasoning
Refried Beans Ingredients
- 2 cans pinto beans drained
- 1 Tablespoon Malcom’s Grande Gringo Mexican Seasoning
- 1 Tablespoon Mexican style hot sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded Mexican cheese
Salsa Rice Ingredients
- 1 cup long grain rice
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 teaspoons chicken base
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat Big Green Egg for direct grilling 450 degrees.
- Cook bacon on a cast iron pan until brown. Drain on paper towel
- Sauté mushrooms and onion in 1 Tablespoon of bacon drippings.
- Season chicken breast filets with Grande Gringo and grill on each side for 3-4 minutes until 165 internal.
- Place chicken over mushrooms and onions on cast iron pan.
- Top with shredded cheese and bacon and melt for 30 seconds to 1 minute.
- Remove pan from grill and serve with flour or corn tortillas, retried beans, rice, and your favorite toppings.
Refried Beans Directions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large bowl mash beans and mix in Grande Gringo and hot sauce
- Transfer bean mixture to casserole dish and top with shredded cheese.
- Place in oven for 20-30 minutes or until beans are warmed through and cheese is melted. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Salsa Rice Directions
- Place a boiler pot over medium heat. Add olive oil and rice and sauté rice for 3-4 minutes until golden brown and fragrant
- Add salsa, water, and chicken base. Stir to combine and bring to a slight boil.
- Reduce heat to low and cover pot for 18-20 minutes.
- Season drive with salt and pepper and fluff with fork. Keep warm until ready to serve.
Keywords: Grilled Pollo Tapatio, Pollo Tapatio, Refried Beans, Salsa Rice, grande gringo
Have a Question About This Recipe?
Connect with us in our HowToBBQRight Facebook group for recipe help, to share your pictures, giveaways, and more!
Wanted to make this tonight but there’s no way to get the fit go seasoning by then. What is a good substitute?
Use any Mexican seasoning you like
We use his fajita seasoning recipe
Hello Mr. Reed, This looks like an awesome recipe and I can’t wait to give it a try. Thank you so much for sharing it!! I was wondering, where I can get one of those cast iron griddles that you were using in you video? Thank you so much and keep those great recipes and videos coming!
Have a great day!!
Hey Kent – thanks! I have had this cast iron for years, but you can find Lodge Cast Iron on Amazon – https://amzn.to/36dtEK5
good stuff…. Gonna try this in my #10 lodge cause I don’t have a skillet
This is my kind of recipe, very simple and delicious. I did sauté the onions and mushrooms on the kitchen stove but then followed the rest of the recipe as shown.
This recipe could easily be increased for a larger group of eaters.
Made this last night for family and friends. Super easy and absolutely delicious. We were actually all stunned at how good it tasted, considering how simple it all was. And the Salsa Rice recipe . . . wow, who’d of thought it could be that easy too?
On a personal creative note, I pre-smoked the chicken fillets and the bacon for 30+ minutes @ 180 degrees before kicking up the heat to start the veggies. Figured the kiss of smoke couldn’t hurt. And it didn’t. 😉
Thanks Malcom for this recipe and all that you do to share your BBQ experience and knowledge with us all!
This recipe is to die for! The only change I made was doubled the amount of onions and mushrooms. It was so good that my wife requested that I make it at least once a week. Keep it comin’ Malcom!